Friday, April 22, 2005

The Jungle

How have I hurt him?
What wound have I inflicted?
How long will it take to heal?

Why must I lead him along safely on the outskirts of the savage garden?
Why is he no longer drawn to possess the precious ruby in the vine-covered temple?

Perhaps I have caused him so much pain already that he cannot feel anymore. Perhaps I have worn him down to the point of numb incomprehension. Or perhaps, in defining the parameters of my own pain, I have described a path upon which he may safely travel to a destination unknown to me.

And perhaps he is grateful for my guidance.

Have I spared him too much? Should I not send him out into the jungle on his own to risk the fangs and thorns? Should he not do his own cautious dance through the rare and delicate blossoms which must not be crushed? Should he not fear the muddy pit as much as I? Should he not seek to discover for himself what creatures roar and screech in the dark shelter of the towering trees?

Why must I lead him along safely on the outskirts of the savage garden?
Why is he no longer drawn to possess the precious ruby in the vine-covered temple?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Mark,
I just LOVE this....
Thanks for sharing...

Lynn