Saturday, April 30, 2005

Ode to the water-cat

'Twas shower time. I stepped inside and drew the shelt'ring curtain.
And tho' I hadn't seen her yet, of one thing I was certain -
My Barbie Fair, my baby girl, my fetching feline daughter,
Would soon appear to whine and sigh and mew and cry for water.

So sure enough, as soon as e'er she heard the faucet flowing,
There she was, her tail a'twitch, her em'rald eyes a'glowing.
She leapt upon the porc'lain rail, her mind made up to linger.
And thusly she implored me: "Let it drip right off your finger."

"I'll lap the droplets up as fast as you can make them flow.
I'll perch right here until I've had my fill of H2O."
So there she sits. Her caterwauling interrupts my scrubbing.
Such wails and shrieks! I'd like to give her furry hide a drubbing!

To no avail I feign indiff'rence to her sharp insistence.
She's altogether confident she'll conquer my resistance.
Defeated, I concede it's best to cater to her wishes,
So I proceed to soak her 'til she's wetter than the fishes.

Happy now, her clotted coat besot from shower's pelting,
My kitty girl desists from all her keenly plaintive belting.
She's through with me. I've humbly done my daily bounden duty.
The goddess of the Pharaohs has restored her ancient beauty.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

the world is divided into 2 types of people...those who love cats and those who don't know any better

Anonymous said...

Mark,
I don't have cats--because I am allergic...but, in this poem..you really made the thought of owning one attractive!

I didn't know that you wrote so well....wow.

Lynn

Anonymous said...

Friends don't let friends get a dog. .. sigh... this makes me miss my Oedipuss. mrow meow, brrrR--OW!

Anonymous said...

Truly love the poetry, much deeper than just a few drops of water to a feline companion
Would not usually open a homepage from bear411, but truly blessed that I did today
pumper69 on 411 columbus ohio
Have a wonderful day, your poetry sure made the sun shine on the gray skies of Ohio today.